SECURITY AIDE 3199
$33,512 to $48,984
- Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to vacancies in the lower pay grade positions.
- The annual salary is at the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
- Some Security Aides will be required to be available to work night or morning assignments, weekends, holidays, rotating shifts, and in various locations throughout the City of Los Angeles.
Inspects City facilities for security or safety hazards, unruly patrons, or other patrons, or other unusual conditions; and does related work.
- REQUIREMENT(S)/MINIMUM QUALIFICATION(S)
- Six months of full time paid experience at the level of Security Aide with the City of Los Angeles inspecting City facilities for security or safety hazards; or
- At least 18 years old at the time of filing and one year participation with the Airport Police Cadet Program with the Los Angeles World Airports.
- Some positions may require a valid California driver's license. Candidates may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
- Some positions may require carrying a baton and/or mace, and successful completion of an appropriate training for the use of such equipment.
In accordance with Charter Section 1010 (b) and Civil Service Rule 5.31, selective certification will be used for some positions that require special skills and/or training. Only persons possessing the following at the time of filing may be considered for appointment to fill such positions:
Some positions may require the ability to speak or write a language other than English. If you have the ability to speak or write a language other than English, indicate this language in the appropriate box on the application.
- WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity for Open Competitive Examinations.
- Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
- All application materials must be complete at the time of filing for you to be considered a candidate in this examination.
Applications must be received by THURSDAY, JANUARY 24, 2019.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process in the following order: 1) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles who meet the minimum requirements, or are on a reserve list; 2) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received. Applications submitted during the filing period may be kept on file in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
- SELECTION PROCESS
Examination Weight: Training and Experience Questionnaire . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .100%
The examination will consist entirely of an evaluation of training and experience wherein candidates may be evaluated on their knowledge, experience, and professional background as they have provided the skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of a Security Aide. Candidates may be examined for the following competencies: written communication, customer service techniques, teamwork skills, performing work safely, handling stressful situations, performing clerical work, and other necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The Training and Experience Questionnaire (T&E) will be administered on-line. Applicants invited to participate in the examination will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the specific steps on how to complete the online T&E. Applicants who fail to complete the on-line T&E as instructed may be disqualified. It is anticipated that the online T&E will be administered between FEBRUARY 4, 2019 AND FEBRUARY 11, 2019.
Additional job analysis information can be obtained by going to http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=jobanalyses and clicking on Competencies under Security Aide.
Training and Experience Questionnaires of qualified candidates will be submitted to an expert review panel for evaluation. The expert review panel will assign a numeric score to each candidate based on an assessment of each candidate's qualifications, as described on the Training and Experience Questionnaire. Unsolicited supplemental information will not be submitted to the expert review panel.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at the following: http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- Verified volunteer experience equivalent to that required by this bulletin is acceptable. Verification must be provided by the applicant.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
- All candidates will be required to complete a thorough medical examination, administered by a City physician.
- Based on City policy, candidates may be required to undergo a drug and alcohol-screening test.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ONLY ON AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.