DEPARTMENTAL AUDIT MANAGER 1610
Overall Job Objective
- ANNUAL SALARY
$123,066 to $179,943
Annual salary is at the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
A Departmental Audit Manager plans and directs the financial, performance, and internal auditing functions in a City department; develops a system of control over audit projects, reviewing operations and results; interacts with elected officials, commissioners, other City managers, and outside agencies; attends Council committee, Commission, and community meetings to present and defend audit findings; plans, organizes, and directs the work of subordinates engaged in support of these functions; applies sound supervisory principles and techniques in building and maintaining an effective work force; fulfills equal employment opportunity responsibilities; and does related work.
- REQUIREMENT(S)/MINIMUM QUALIFICATION(S)
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university; and
- Possession of a Certified Public Accountant license or current designation as a Certified Internal Auditor; and
- Three years of full-time paid professional experience in a position at the level of Internal Auditor III, managing financial and performance auditing activities in a governmental audit organization, public accounting firm, or large financial services organization.
A Master's degree in business, accounting, economics, finance, public administration, political science, computer science, engineering or law may be substituted for one year of non-City, entry-level experience in Requirement #3.
- In addition to the regular City application, all applicants must complete the Departmental Audit Manager Qualifications Questionnaire at the time of filing. The Departmental Audit Manager Qualifications Questionnaire is located within the Supplemental Questions section of the City application. Applicants who fail to complete the Qualifications Questionnaire will not be considered further in this examination, and their application will not be processed.
- Applicants who lack six months or less of the required experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
- Some positions may require a valid California driver's license. Candidates may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
- For Requirement #3, qualifying experience gained outside the City of Los Angeles at the level of Internal Auditor III is equivalent to nine years of full-time paid professional experience performing financial and performance audit activities, three years of which must have been in managing such work in a governmental audit organization, public accounting firm, or large financial services organization.
- For qualifying work experience gained outside of the City of Los Angeles, the term "professional experience" applies to positions that require possession of a degree from an accredited four-year college or university in order to obtain that position. Therefore, to be considered "professional," non-City qualifying experience must be gained in positions after obtaining a four-year degree.
- Please note that qualifying education must be from a college or university accredited by a City of Los Angeles recognized agency. A list of approved accrediting agencies can be found at http://per.lacity.org/Accredited%20Institutions%2008-21-08.pdf.
- Candidates completing the exam process will be contacted by the Personnel Department to provide required proof of qualifying degree and/or coursework.
- WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Applications and Qualifications Questionnaires must be received by THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2019.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received or by qualifications review. Applications submitted during the filing period may be kept on file in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
Should a large number of qualified candidates file for this examination, each candidate's qualifications for the position of Departmental Audit Manager may be evaluated based on the candidate's Qualifications Questionnaire. Those candidates considered possessing the greatest likelihood of successfully performing the duties of a Departmental Audit Manager, based solely on the information submitted for qualifications review, will continue in the selection process.
- SELECTION PROCESS
- Examination Weight: Training and Experience Questionnaire . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The examination will consist entirely of an evaluation of training and experience, wherein candidates will be evaluated on their knowledge, experience, professional background and personal qualifications and abilities. Emphasis will be placed on their knowledge of theory and practice of governmental and enterprise accounting and auditing, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Governmental Auditing Standards; supervisory principles, practices, and techniques, including delegation of authority, progressive discipline, performance evaluation, motivating, planning, organizing, directing, and staffing; pertinent City and Personnel Department rules, policies, and procedures, including Equal Employment Opportunity; and the ability to plan, organize, and direct a comprehensive auditing program; analyze accounting and performance systems to recommend modifications; analyze situations, identify deficiencies, and adopt an effective course of action; read, analyze, and act upon authoritative regulatory documents and contracts; administer training programs for staff, provide advice and direction, and maintain a work environment in order to build and maintain an effective workforce; monitor activities, processes, and work flow in areas such as risk assessments, contracts, and consultant performance; evaluate proposed plans, programs, and projects for both short term and long range effects; communicate, both orally and in writing, with governmental officials, management, subordinates, customers, and the public sufficient to write a variety of instructions, and reports in a clear, concise, and effective manner; deal and interact tactfully and effectively with others; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
The Training and Experience Questionnaire will be administered on-line. Candidates invited to participate in the examination will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the specific steps on how to complete the on-line Training and Experience Questionnaire. Candidates that do not complete the on-line Training and Experience Questionnaire as required will not be considered further in this examination. It is anticipated that the on-line Training and Experience Questionnaire will be administered during the period of APRIL 15, 2019 and APRIL 22, 2019.
Training and Experience Questionnaires for all candidates who meet the requirements, and in accordance with Rule 4.2 as stated above, will be submitted to an expert review panel for evaluation. The expert review panel will assign a numeric score to each candidate based on an assessment of each candidate's qualifications, as described on the candidate's Training and Experience Questionnaire. Unsolicited supplemental information will not be submitted to the expert review panel.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a one-year probationary period as provided by Section 1011 of the Los Angeles City Charter.
- Promotional candidates will accrue seniority credit at the rate of 0.10 of a point for each year of service in those classes that provide qualifying experience for this position. A maximum of one point will be added to the score of the candidate.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
- The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit as indicated above, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
- If in accordance with the Rule of Three Whole Scores all applicants are eligible for appointment consideration, the examination will consist entirely of an evaluation of the candidates' City applications by Personnel Department staff to ensure that the minimum qualifications are met.
- In conjunction with Civil Service Rules, applicants who are current eligible City employees or on a reserve list will be considered Promotional candidates while all other applicants will be considered Open candidates.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON AN
INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
For additional information and FAQs regarding the City's hiring process, please go to: http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess