Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1575551
This listing closes on 11/17/2016 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada).
Location CITY OF LOS ANGELES, CA
CITY OF LOS ANGELES, CA
3843 OP 2016/11/04 R
Closing date and time
11/17/2016 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana
ANNUAL SALARY $98,637 (flat-rated)
The salary in the Department of Airports is $100,453 (flat-rated)
The salary in the Department of Water and Power is $101,205 (flat-rated)
1. For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf.
2. The current salary range is subject to change. You may confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
An Instrument Mechanic performs highly skilled field and shop work in inspecting, troubleshooting, adjusting, calibrating, servicing, maintaining, overhauling, repairing, and testing various automatic controls and indicating and recording instruments and devices; analyzes instrumentation and related system malfunctions to determine necessary repairs; and adjusts programs on instrumentation and controls required to interface with process control computers.
1. Three years of full-time paid experience as a Steam Plant Assistant with the City of Los Angeles, one year of which shall be as a Steam Plant Assistant A in the Instrument Shop or Operations; or
2. Two years of full-time paid experience at the level of Building Operating Engineer with the City of Los Angeles, which provides experience in the operation or maintenance of high temperature boilers or refrigeration equipment with a total capacity of 3,000 tons or more; or
3. Two years of full-time paid experience as an Electrical Tester with the City of Los Angeles; or
4. Two years of full-time paid instrument mechanic experience inspecting, adjusting, repairing and testing electronic and/or pneumatic control systems, including transmitting, indicating and recording instruments and controllers at oil refineries, chemical plants, water utility or wastewater treatment facilities.
Completion of four semesters of course work on Automated Instrumentation and Controls from an accredited college may be substituted for one year of the required experience. Candidates must list their courses completed, dates taken, and school attended according to the online instructions.
1. Only applicants that are currently or have previously worked in the Department of Water and Power as Steam Plant Assistants in the following DDR (Duties Description Record) numbers 82-38096, 82-56017, or as Steam Plant Operators in DDR numbers 94-56104 and 94-56105 and meet the above noted requirements, will qualify for this examination under requirement #1.
2. Applicants who lack six months or less of the required experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement has been met.
3. A valid California driver's license is required. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
WHERE TO APPLY
Applications WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ON-LINE. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the Apply icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity for Open Competitive Examinations and at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity/promotionaljobs for Promotional Examinations.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Applications must be received by THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2016.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the interview in the following order: 1) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles who meet the minimum requirements, or are on a reserve list; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received. Applications submitted during the filing period will be kept on file for two years from November 4, 2016 in the event that additional applicants need to be tested to meet hiring needs.
After meeting minimum qualifications, and in accordance with Rule 4.2 as stated above, candidates will be scheduled for the following:
Examination Weight: Written Test . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The examination will consist of a weighted written test. In the weighted written test, which will consist of multiple choice questions, the following competencies may be evaluated, including job knowledge of: functions and operating principles of electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic instruments and control devices and their component parts; tools, power tools, methods and techniques used to disassemble, service, adjust, repair, test, calibrate and assemble electronic and computerized automatic controls and indicating instruments; principles and analyzing-instruments and control system characteristics related to steam generating plant equipment, building heat and ventilation equipment, wastewater treatment and water purification plant equipment; physics and chemistry relating to devices used to measure pressure, temperature, flow, pH, conductivity and other properties; safety procedures when working on energized equipment, and near high-pressure lines, hot water and steam lines, hazardous chemicals, moving equipment, in confined spaces, and other hazardous conditions; process control computers and software system packages and programming and integrating techniques; Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) rules and regulations; and the ability to: read and interpret computer instruction plans, piping and instrumentation drawing (P & ID) diagrams, and schematics related to instrument repair; make mathematical calculations including the use of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry; and other necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Candidates will be notified later by e-mail of the time and location of the written test, which will be held in a single half-day session on SATURDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2016, in Los Angeles.
1. You may be required to pass an annual or periodic work fitness evaluation to determine your eligibility for continued employment.
2. This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the written test will not be subject to candidate inspection.
3. The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
4. As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
5. Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
6. A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
7. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
8. Based on the Federal Omnibus Transportation Employee Testing Act of 1994, you may be required to undergo mandatory drug and alcohol-screening testing prior to and during employment in this class.
9. In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
Notice: If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON AN INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
There are many things to consider in a new employer. Visit the following webpage to view benefits the City of Los Angeles offers its employees:
To be PROPERLY AND PROMPTLY notified of the status of my application, I UNDERSTAND that I MUST provide on my City application, the following information:-Working E-mail address-Telephone Number-Official social security numberI UNDERSTAND that I MUST provide a working email address on my application where I will receive notifications regarding the status of my application and the selection process.I UNDERSTAND that important information regarding the status of my application and the selection process will only be sent via E-MAIL to the email address I provided.I UNDERSTAND that it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that the email address I provided is a working email and that I will check my email regularly to ensure I receive any communication as it relates to the examination promptly.I UNDERSTAND that the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any lost or redirected emails and that it is MY RESPONSIBILITY to add firstname.lastname@example.org to my email contact list to avoid email notifications related to this examination from being classified as spam or junk mail.
Click below to apply via our online system, or feel free to apply in person at, 700 E. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA 90012.Apply Here