The salary in the Department of Water and Power is $99,054; $106,028 (flat-rated).
- For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf.
- Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to vacancies in the lower pay grade positions.
- The current salary range is subject to change. You may confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
An Air Conditioning Mechanic installs, modifies, maintains, and repairs air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, ventilating, and related equipment including control systems which may utilize electric, electronic, pneumatic or direct digital controls.
After meeting minimum qualifications, and in accordance with Rule 4.2 as stated above, candidates will be scheduled for the following:
Examination Weight: Written Test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
The examination will consist entirely of a multiple-choice written test. In the multiple-choice written test, candidates may be examined for knowledge of: the operation principles of refrigeration and air conditioning systems and related machinery and equipment; the practices and procedures used in the installation and maintenance of refrigeration, air conditioning, and related equipment; boiling points and physical properties of various liquids and gases used in refrigerating and air conditioning equipment systems; general Direct Digital Controller systems and installation; hydronics as used in HVAC systems; airflow and temperature differentials in HVAC systems; practices and techniques of adjusting refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilation and heating equipment and control devices, including pneumatic, low voltage control wiring, and direct digital controls; techniques and procedures used in diagnosis and correction of electrical, electronic, pneumatic and mechanical failures in refrigeration and cooling equipment; the types and uses of tools, equipment, and gauges used by air conditioning mechanics in physical and electrical testing, adjusting, repairing, replacing, and overhauling refrigeration, air conditioning systems, and related machinery; practices and methods used in soldering and brazing used to join copper pipe and tubing in installation, and overhauling of refrigeration, air conditioning, gas heating, ventilation units, and related machinery; safety problems, hazards, and safe work practices related to working on air conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilation equipment; the safe and proper usage of refrigerant recovery/reclaiming equipment; EPA 608 and SCAQMD 1415 rule for refrigerant compliance and record-keeping on systems weighing 50 pounds or more; indoor air quality issues pertaining to maintenance techniques and standards; and the ability to read, interpret, and utilize plans, manufacturer's specifications, national, state, and City mechanical codes, and American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers design specifications and standards pertaining to the installation, maintenance, modification, overhauling and repair of refrigeration, air conditioning, heating ventilation equipment, and related machinery; deal tactfully and effectively with coworkers, supervisors, staff from other public agencies, and members of the public; and other necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Candidates will be notified later by e-mail of the time and location of the written test, which will be held in a single half-day session on SATURDAY, JUNE 17, 2017, in Los Angeles.
- This examination is based on a validation study.
- Based on City policy, before being hired in one of these positions, you may be required to undergo a drug and alcohol screening test.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding 0.25 of a point seniority credit for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
- In conjunction with Civil Service Rules, applicants who have received a regular appointment to a City position or are on a reserve list will be considered Promotional candidates while all other applicants will be considered Open candidates.
- You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22, 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH ON AN
INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.